What happens once I’ve seen a property that I like?


It is important that you contact the relevant office of CGT Lettings as soon as possible in order to register your interest in a particular property.

A Holding fee, listed below, is required to reserve a property, subject to contract.

The holding fee must be paid in cleared funds, i.e. debit card, *credit card (*subject to surcharge) or bankers draft.

Please note that if the tenancy does not proceed due to any of the following circumstances the holding fee will not be refunded;

1) Where you or any proposed joint tenant change your mind and withdraw after references have been sought and/or documents prepared and/or preparations for the tenancy put in hand.

2) Where the tenancy does not commence within one calendar month of payment of the holding fee because of any action by you (as the property may be taken off the market there will be no possibility of finding another tenant during this period).

3) Where you or any proposed joint tenant fail the credit check or we do not receive favourable references from one of your previous landlords.

4) Where your references show that you have given misleading or incorrect information which cannot be construed as a mistake.

It is important to point out that the holding fee does not oblige the landlord to let the property, or any other property, to you and it does not commit the landlord to granting a tenancy or constitute an offer of a tenancy. No interest is payable on the holding fee. The Holding fee is fully refundable if the landlord decides not to enter into the tenancy for personal reasons.

Please see below for information on tenants fees:

What references are required, and what will I need to provide?

References are always required in order to secure a tenancy. We process ours through Vouch. Please be aware that no tenancy will be granted until satisfactory references have been received and approved.

Each person relating to the tenancy will be required to fill in a reference form and be referenced.

Additionally, and depending on your personal circumstances, the following will also be required:


1. All applicants, including guarantors (where applicable), will be required to provide a current Passport or Birth Certificate in combination with a National Insurance Number and photographic identification which can include a Driving Licence or National Identity Card. Non EU applicants will be required to provide a copy of their Biometric Residence Permit or current Visa, together with their Passport containing a UK immigration stamp. Further referencing requirements are as follows:


2. Proof of residency, to include one of the following utility bills and no older than 3 months prior to the commencement date of the tenancy:- gas, electric, water, telephone landline bill (not mobile), most recent council tax bill.

3. If you are employed, you will need to provide your most recent three months wage slips, or a letter on headed paper from the Personnel/Human Resources Department of your employer confirming your address, start date of your employment and current salary. Please note that this letter must be signed and dated by the Payroll Department or the Financial Director and contain the printed name of the signatory. We cannot accept emails.

A previous landlord’s reference, if applicable (we will obtain this on your behalf).

Self Employed

Identification, 1 & 2 above and a minimum of 3 years filed accounts. If the applicant has been self employed for less than three years they may require a guarantor and authenticated self assessment tax calculation forms from HMRC (These are known as SA302 or SA100 forms). Alternatively a letter from your accountant confirming drawings, and start date of the business may prove acceptable.

Housing Allowance

Identification (1 and 2 above) pay slips will be required if a tenant works part-time AND a guarantor. Plus evidence from housing benefit confirming that your claim is progressing, or has been accepted.


Identification and 1, 2 and 3 (if applicable) above, and a guarantor.


Identification together with 1, 2.

Monies Payable on or Before Commencement of Tenancy


A security deposit is required which is the equivalent of five weeks rent. The deposit is returnable at the end of the tenancy providing that the property is left in a clean and proper order and there are no damages. The deposit will be registered with The Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS).


Rent is payable monthly in advance and due by Standing Order on the 1st of each month. If the tenancy start date is anything other than the 1st of a month then the rent will be calculated pro-rata.

Will my money be safe and secure?

You can be assured that any money paid to CGT Lettings is safe and secure. As licensed members of ARLA (The Association of Residential Letting Agents) all monies are protected and bonded. Membership of a Government Approved Client Money Protection (CMP) scheme is a legal requirement for all agents dealing with residential lettings across England..   CGT Lettings fully complies with this legislation through our membership with ARLA Propertymark.

Also your deposit will be registered with The Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) and you will receive a certificate on the commencement of your tenancy to confirm this.

How can I protect my contents and deposit?

If you’re renting, it’s easy to think that you haven’t got many belongings to insure, but the cost of replacing them could be more than you think.

You probably know how much a new TV, laptop, games console or digital camera might cost. However have you thought how much your clothes, shoes, bed linen and kitchen equipment are worth, or even the food in your freezer? The last thing that you need after an accident, burglary, fire or flood is a mounting bill just for the things you take for granted.

Also your landlord’s own insurance won’t cover you if you accidentally damage their property. From a spilt glass of wine to an iron mark on the carpet, accidents happen to the best of us.

That’s why The Lettings Hub have designed a home contents insurance policy specifically for tenants. It covers the cost of replacing your own things as well as cover for your Landlords fixtures and fittings.

Cover starts from only £12 per month for £5000 worth of cover.

If you so wish please contact CGT Lettings for more information.

CGT Lettings is an appointed representative of Property & Commercial Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority No. 591070.

When can I move in?

When you first enquire or view a property you will be advised of the date when the property will become available. This information can also be found on the property detail section of our website, and on our printed property lists.

As soon as you pay your holding fee, a definitive date for the commencement of your tenancy will be agreed.

What information is given the day that I take possession of the property?

When the day arrives for you to take possession of your property we shall have already agreed a convenient time for you to visit our office to collect the keys and complete all the necessary paperwork.

The appointment will last for approximately 20 minutes and you will be given a Tenants Pack which will help to guide you through your tenancy. Also included will be the relevant safety certificates (if applicable), an Energy Performance Certificate, copies of utility letters, and the Tenancy Deposit Certificate.

You will also be provided with a very detailed inventory describing the condition of the property and its contents. You will have the opportunity to check the inventory, make any relevant amendments, and return it to us within 48 hours.

Before we can release the keys, all parties aged 18 and over will need to have signed the tenancy agreement, and all remaining monies must be paid in full. We recommend payment by debit card or bankers draft. For security reasons we discourage cash payments.

How long am I committed for?

It will depend on the length of your tenancy agreement. The most common fixed period is 6 months, after which the tenancy runs on a month by month basis.

In this instance you would be obligated for the first 6 months, and should you wish to vacate you would need to give one months notice in writing, ending no sooner than the initial 6 months.

Should you decide to stay beyond the initial 6 months then this is perfectly acceptable, depending on what your landlord also requires you can either continue on a ‘statutory periodic tenancy’ running on a month by month basis on the same terms and conditions or sign another fixed term contract.

If the landlord requires possession of the property then they would need to provide you with normally 2 months notice (currently 6 months notice under Covid rules), which cannot expire sooner than the initial 6 month fixed term.

Client Money Protection

We have Client Money Protection Insurance(CMP) provided by PropertyMark. Click here to view member requirements

View our CMP certificate.

View our CMP security certificate.